1st Thursday of every month unless it is a Holy Day. Location of meeting is to be determined.
Meetings will be held at the Knights of Columbus Hall until further notice.
3rd Tuesday of every month (currently discontinued due to COVID-19)
Regent: Lucia Stover
Vice Regent: Karen Pitpa
Recording Secretary: Mindy Terpak
Financial Secretary: Pam Callahan
Treasurer: Phyllis Galio
Follow us on Facebook
Officer Installation, Sept 3, 2020
From left to right: Pat Lutz - District Deputy; Mindy Terpak; Karen Pitpa; Lucia Stover; Pam Callahan; Phyllis Galio; Janet Oesterling – Ceremonial Coordinator
Court Reverend Patrick McArdle #448 was instituted 18 January 1920 by Court Ave Maria #339 Lock Haven. Mrs. Odille Mott was the first Grand Regent, and seventy-three charter members were received. The Courts namesake was pastor at St. John the Evangelist for 37 years until his death in 1917, before the Court was formed.
To give a sense of unity to the organization, several traditions were followed during the early years of the Court. A password, which was changed quarterly, was in use until the late sixties. Communion was received as a body every three months. Classes were organized to go into the rural district to teach catechism.
Strawberry socials were a favored activity for the newly formed Court. Euchre parties and box socials as well as bazaars were common fundraising events. Today, our fundraising activities are mainly bake sales, yard sales, and raffles. Contributions were made to Irish Relief and the Charity Fund for the St. John’s Orphanage that was established in 1921.
Over the years, the Court has regularly participated in joint community activities such as ecumenical services, World Day of Prayer, and Council of Churches. Other activities include the sponsorship of a Court representative to attend the annual March for Life in Washington, D.C., organization of a Pro-Life Prayer Service, a Baby Shower Bingo, and monetary contributions to further the course of Pro-Life.
Over many years, the Court has been honored by having six District Deputies: Odille Mott, Mary Gray, Josephine Ebeling, Janet Oesterling, Irene DeGraff and Helen Lowry. Josephine went on to become State Secretary, 2nd Vice State Regent, 1st Vice State Regent, State Regent, and National Director. Janet was appointed State–Sub Chair for the Tutwiler Clinic in the first year that it was added as a National Project and she is currently the Pennsylvania State Membership Chair.
The Court is active on the Diocesan level as well. We have helped sponsor a young lady and give each year to the Mt. Aloysius Scholarship Fund, a Diocesan fund to help a needy student. Beyond the Diocesan level, pledges have been made and given to the Chair of Catholic Church History at Catholic University and the Bishop’s Relocation Fund in Washington, D.C. The Catholic Daughters throughout the United States support the Marian Chapels at the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in our Nation’s capital, and Court members are proud to have taken part in establishing this National landmark. Annual donations are also made to the North American College in Rome. Several National Projects and Charities are targeted each year for contributions, including the Labouré Society, Habitat for Humanity, Holy Cross Family Ministries, SOAR (Support Our Aging Religious), National Center on Sexual Exploitation, Smile Train, and the Tutwiler Clinic.
Court Reverend Patrick McArdle #448 is a multi-faceted Court and actively participates in the Circle of Love national program. These activities include, in part: education contest, spiritual retreats, rosary rallies, Pro-Life, National Center for Sexual Exploitation, and scholastic school awards. Serving lunches and dinners, for various organizations and funerals, the annual Christmas yard sale, and the Lenten Fish Fries, in a joint effort with the Knights of Columbus, continue to be the primary fundraisers to support Spiritual Enhancement and Quality of Life activities. In years past, the sale of Mystic Maid cleaning cloths had also been a major fund raiser.
The Court successfully fostered the installation of three daughter courts: Court St. Rita #523 of Tyrone in June 1920, Court Blessed Madonna #2521 of State College in September 2003, and Court St. Gerard Majella #2571 of Clarence in November 2018. The Court membership currently stands at 115, with 5 Life members.